Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Squak Squak Squak... Happy Turkey Day! :)

I’ve learned 2 things this week.

1 – There is a button on my computer that turns the wireless on and off! Who knew!

2—There is a proper and improper way to tie tree branches to twine with wire. Again … who knew! Though I hope that will be the first and last time I ever do that. I couldn’t help but laugh as Profe Telma was up on top of the giant slide pulling down branches while Profe Roberto hacked at the lower ones with the machete. We then made the leaves into “bunches” and cut off the circulation in our fingers pulling the wire tight enough to secure them. Earlier that day I spent 3 hours painting giant Precious Moments posters to also use as decorations for graduation. When I asked Profe Telma why we couldn’t just use the ones from last year, her response was “well people get bored with them.” Right. It is better to get covered in glitter while working for hours on something that will be up for about 2. I will be thankful to return to a land where
decoration making is not taken to such an extreme.

And speaking of being thankful (in a cliché or appropriate manner since that is what the motherland will be celebrating on Thursday) here are the things I am currently feeling thankful for:

1. Pancakes for dinner and Marmahon for lunch … I get a spring in my step just walking towards the coolers on those days!

2. Digicell… the phone company that makes it super cheap to call the states!

3. Banana Grams. Speed scrabble that comes in a banana pouch! I walk through life reading interesting words thinking… ohh, that would be a great Banana Grams word! It’s my new favorite game.

4. Hot showers. I don’t mind the cold ones, but I never look forward to them. There isn’t anything better than a hot shower on a chilly morning.

5. Cultural differences. I find myself laughing out loud at least once a day due to something someone says or does. It certainly keeps life from getting mundane.

6. The other volunteers. Who else can understandingly pick through your scalp for lice or spend 10 minutes talking about long-lost food or sit there and listen when you’ve just got to vent about these kids? It’s nice to have those “me too” people when living in a different culture.

7. Iris’ visa! Iris was the woman who was in the same accident I was over a year ago, though she was much more seriously hurt. And although she already had surgery on her foot, it still hasn’t healed and she’s been on crutches for the past year. But a gracious doctor in the states offered to operate on her if our country would give her the visa (and we all know how easy it is to get one of those…) but I found out today that she got it! So thanks immigration people! If all goes well, she’ll be in Minnesota next week! (I should also mention that she’s probably one of my most favorite people here … about as joyful and fun to be around as a human being can get).

8. Healthcare. You only have to glance at the headlines to read something about this … but then you only have to listen to nurse Anna talk about visiting Hospital Escuela (the public hospital), which leaves her shoes sticky with blood from the waiting room floor or the want to cover the eyes and ears of the little ones she is leading through the hallways of gurneys of screaming people… and it does make you feel thankful this isn’t the system you deal with. (and then maybe a little sad because some people do…).

9. Education. Maybe it’s the acceptance of copying information from the board under the guise of a lesson or the time taken out of class for meaningless activities or the pure memorization of facts deemed as “learning” that makes me feel so thankful for the education I received in Dexter. And actually these kids have plenty to be thankful for themselves since their education is better than many receive in this country… but I had no idea what I had.

10. Political rest (as in the opposite of political unrest). For obvious reasons.

11. Electricity & water. I am more patient due to the frequency with which we lose these … but strange to think there are places that only lose power during thunderstorms.

12. Simplicity. When I was home in June and made a trip to Target, I found myself walking up and down the aisles spying so many things I needed. I mean really! So needed …okay, probably not. But those advertisers really do a good job! I consume far less here. 1 because I only visit civilization every week or two and 2 because it’s hard to buy a lot of stuff when you know you’ll be lugging it back on a taxi and then the bus (probably standing up squished between a zillion people) and then up a hill for 20 minutes in the scalding sun. If we want to live simpler…start making people carry their possessions home… I think it will do much to minimize.

13. Private cars. And on the complete opposite note … I’m so thankful for private transportation! You go where you want when you want. And sure it’s more expensive and worse for the planet (though I’m not sure how good these black exhaust spouting buses are either…), but at least now I feel like I appreciate the luxury I had before taken for granted.

14. My former life (not as in previous … just as in pre-Honduras). I was pretty disenchanted with our over-consuming country when I left last year. I really set out to find the beauty in poverty and how others lives are more fulfilled. But that’s not what I found. Mother Teresa is right, it is simper to show the poor love… but all humans need that. And the confounding problems that healthcare, education, politics all play into poverty are hard to solve. I’m not less hopeful nor do I think these problems are any less important… I just don’t get as upset with my upbringing as much as I used to. There are some beautiful things in the states as well and I think I will more fully enjoy those when I return.

15. My parents. I used to always think I wanted to have children, but there have been many occasions in these past months that I’ve re-thought that idea. If the kids you are baby-sitting are brats, you just tell the parents you’re unavailable next time they call. Their moral upbringing is not in your hands. When these kids are brats … I sit there wondering how to make them better people. And no matter how many books you read or how much advice you get, you can’t help but wonder if you’re screwing the kids up or making things better for them. And since I don’t say it often enough (or maybe ever), thanks madre y padre!!

16. These kids. They’ve stomped all over my heart in a number of ways. And although goodbyes and endings are always difficult… I’m in no way looking forward to ours in February.

17. You people! It’s such a gift to be so far from home, yet still feel so supported and loved by those miles away. Thank you.

I hope you all have beautiful Thanksgivings. Peace and hugs! :)

No comments: