I don’t know what I’ll do when I return to the states and can walk past the cereal at the supermarket or out of the bank onto the street without people telling me how beautiful I am. I mean, excuse me, I just walked into the room, do you not notice me? When I was in Ecuador I could not STAND the catcalls. The hissing, the sly Spanish attempts to seduce, the broken English phrases … all spurring from the lips of men whom I would ignore while internally wanting to punch. Honduras is no different. And though I would certainly think less of my friends or hypothetically brothers who ever spoke like that to women … it now humors me far more than annoys.
Living in a culture like this might be a great tool for girls with low self-esteem to boost their self-confidence. It’s one thing when you get dolled up and are going out, clearly that’s asking for attention. But to walk through the Center in the morning in sweatpants and a t-shirt?… I mean, if one gets proposed to and told they are loved just rolling out of bed, this might actually be successful.
And plus, it’s a great way for the locals to practice their English. I’ve heard such interesting phrases and technical vocabulary from these men, things I didn’t even learn until I was immersed in the culture! So if they can pick up these English intricacies while living in their own language, that’s really a testament to their language abilities. Untapped potential is what I’m talking about. My cell phone company actually has the decency to text me pick-up lines. Did Verizon ever do that? I think not. So here’s to you Claro, you really are concerned about my love life.
So annoyed, not any more. All of that negative energy was really just doing me harm. It’s much healthier to accept the compliments and smile and say thank you. Is that perpetuating this womanizing culture you ask? Well, maybe. But since punching the lingering eyes is quite frankly out of the question, one might as well just take the compliment. And honestly, who can’t help but laugh when you’re told, “Goood bye sexy! I love you forever! Marry me baby!” from complete strangers.
No comments:
Post a Comment