Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Preteen girls


If someone told me I’d be spending this year and half hanging out with preteen girls, I probably would have gently explained how I just don’t feel much of a connection to that age group. When I think about playing with kids, I picture the playful little ones who crawl into your lap. When I think of middle school girls, I imagine pink slumber parties, caddy conversations behind the backs of friends, and the awkwardness of starting to develop while simultaneously still being engulfed in childhood. But over the past 8 months I have found a special place in my heart for these kids. Sure, these girls are all of those things I think of, but these 11-13 year olds bring me back to those awkward moments of middle school and it’s fun to watch them shift back and forth from girly child and maturing young woman.





Puberty can be uncomfortable, but since living with 30 people does not lend to much privacy, these girls treat puberty with a bluntness that I only became comfortable with through age. They view bodies as they are and shamelessly run around naked, ask me if I think their boobs have grown, and discuss their periods like the weather. The other night one of the girls was telling a story when she uncrossed my arms from my chest and explained, “yeah, her boobs are about the size of Tezra’s” and the ten of them sitting there shifted their vision to my chest and then back to the girl telling the story as she continued. I was mildly shocked, but then could only smile since they are so much more comfortable with their bodies than I ever was at 12.

Their fights often consist of taking sides, saying every mean thing they can think of, and lots of yelling. When they give me the silent treatment or list of insults as a way of letting me know they are upset with me, I am reminded that they are not yet mature enough to deal with their anger. And even when I walk up to a girl and say, “Are you upset with me? Can we talk about this?” it does not mean she will respond with the same maturity. There are days that I leave hogar after a particularly controversial night and I think, “oh my gosh! Are we in middle school?!” … but then I have to pause and remember, “oh yeah, you actually are.”

Most of them still think boys are gross and at times even eww when there are kissing scenes in movies. They are obsessed with High School Musical and can sing the entire soundtrack in English (as can I!). They cut out pictures of movie stars from magazines and glue them in their notebooks to make their own personal albums. They don’t understand how I can so unashamedly wear my hair in pigtails (Tezra, aren’t you soo embarrassed?!). And when they don’t get their way, they still whine (which surprisingly doesn’t make me want to give them what they’re begging for).

They still want to hear a story before falling asleep at night. And they’re not too young to crawl into my lap and cuddle. A lot of times they want help fixing their hair, but they can manage to shine their shoes and iron their uniform without a problem.

Some of these kids have cared for their siblings in a way I would have never dreamed about doing when I was 10. Many of them still look after their younger brothers and sisters in ways that I find just exceptional.

















Sometimes we play. Sometimes we talk. Some of them really like me. A couple of them really dislike me. But these sweet, unruly, crazy girls have really carved their way into my heart. And I’ve decided that preteens are a pretty fun age.

1 comment:

Kim said...

this was a quite enjoyable post

sorry I haven't kept in touch at all tezra! I have read this from time to time and think about you.

I hope you are still enjoying your time there and life in general.