Sunday, August 17, 2008

The Olympics

When I say the word "Olympics" I am sure that most of you think of that worldwide event currently taking place in China. When I say "Olympics" here on the Ranch, the only thing that comes to the kids' minds is the craziness that happened on the Ranch this past weekend (I am sure that most of them have no idea those other Olympics are taking place).

Since I arrived in Honduras, we have been meeting 2 days a week to prepare for this annual Ranch tradition. Everyone is involved -- all of the kids, employees, teachers, volunteers... everyone! Friday night was the Opening Ceremony where each of the 18 teams presented a dance, march, cheer, all while wearing matching t-shirts and waving our homemade flag. Saturday started with the lighting of the torch and then a day of playing -- relays, obstacle courses, tug-a-war, and much more. There was a special dinner last night, which meant they killed a pig for the occasion and it all ended with a dance last night. And although I am sunburned, exhausted, and so excited to have those two afternoons free this coming week ... this weekend was a TOTAL BLAST!


This is practicing for one of the dance numbers. Not only did I feel like I was 12 making up a dance ... I also felt like I was 12 because I haven't listen to Backstreet Boys since those days. For some reason 90s music is all of the rage here --2 of the 4 songs on our re-mix were Backstreet Boys! (and we were not the only group like that :0)

This is our pretty sweet flag. The theme this year was Flora and Fauna so the name of our team was Iguana (which is the same as in English) Encino (which is some kind of green, leafy tree).

This is our Encino mascot -- this kid walk around as a tree for our presentation, it was great (he's currently sticking his face through his arm hole).

Here is the Iguana next to the Encino. He doesn't look like such a happy camper ... perhaps it's because someone spray painted his arms green?? (I'm serious).

This is the craziness that was the Opening Ceremony. Imagine 700 people cheering/yelling all while kids ran around in the middle waving/fight with their flags.

It's 9:45 ... past everyone's bedtime. Actually it felt like it was about midnight, but when I looked at my watch, I was surprised to find it wasn't even 10. Though that is the story of my life here... I went to bed at 9 the other night!

This is our team! Woo hoo! Go Iguana Encinos! This was after standing on the blazing hot concrete for about 3 hours.

Tug-a-way ... then we went swimming in the river to wash off. Good times were had by all :0)

2 comments:

lindsay said...

college ave is missing your presense, or more like I AM MISSING YOU A LOT!

Scottie said...

Backstreet boys huh...man I miss those guys!